I love teaching my clients to exercise their pooches on the treadmill. Surprise and doubt are the initial reactions but I've yet to meet a dog I could not convince to participate and, generally, come to love the treadmill. The proof that dogs instinctually need to exercise is when these dogs often come to 'request' - via whining/barking/pacing - a run on the treadmill. Below are Alexi and Sasha taking their turns on the treadmill. With our winters, I don't know how people properly provide exercise and instinctual migration required by dogs. I told one client who owns a husky, a dog more than adequately equipped to run in sub-zero temperatures, "He may very well be equipped for these winters but humans are not. How long will you last in -30 weather? You'll likely catch your death if you spend any time at all out there." He runs his husky daily on the treadmill and the dog is happy a can be.
What a great post - this will be great on your Packrules site!!!
ReplyDeleteLove to see it all coming together in whatever little way it does. Things happen that we can't control but so many things are bound to our own initiatives... I should live by my words... lol