Monday, August 9, 2010

35 Minutes To Paradise

Hay Lakes Property

This is an option for Bryan and I. It is 35 minutes from Sherwood Park so a bit of a 'haul' as Bryan likes to describe it. 120 acres of prime hay with 7 paddocks (1.5 acres each) for boarding horses (NO! I would NOT do indoor board! Too much work!). There is a brand new, hardly used, Good On built stable that has 10 stalls, office, wash stall, bathroom, large lunch room/locker room. There is a renovated mobile home on the property as well.

If we chose this property, I would remove the stalls, insulate the roof, and use the 3,000 sq ft area for dog agility. Rebecca, the original owner, built the stable to attract indoor boarders but was unable to find people able to pay the indoor board. In this economy, that is not a surprise. However, I would never do indoor board as it requires constant mucking out of stalls and is a heap of work. Outdoor board is the very best and way less labour intensive.

We would also put a newer home on the property and use the mobile home for my breeding program. To have the mothers/puppies in an actual home is a priceless benefit. It also allows for proper quarantine of the mothers and their litters from disease and illness. Between my own dogs and my 'girls/puppies' and Pack Rules Inc....I'd be busy but could book clients according to my own criteria! Having the modified barn for agility would also allow me to reduce my training charges as the people could come to me for group classes.

I thought it would be absolutely incredible to put up a 'bunk house' where visitors could stay. I could also host 'writer retreats'. That would be incredible! Ahhhh....dreams. Gotta love 'em.

Herein lies the challenge...Is it too far out? Will people drive 35 minutes to use the facility for their dogs or for training? Although it is 35 minutes from Sherwood Park, other towns (Camrose, New Sarepta, Leduc) are 10-15 minutes away. Who really knows?

Decisions, decisions.

3 comments:

  1. It looks absolutely gorgeous. To get to West Ed Mall from Sherwood is about the same time so I don't think its too far at all.
    Stay overs for writers welcomed - by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mandy - it's all in perspective to where you're coming from.

    Waiting to reserve my bunk :)and board my horse :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys! It's on the top three list!

    ReplyDelete