Friday, September 25, 2009

I couldn't help but remember the passing of Michael Landon when it was announce that Patrick Swayze died. They were both stricken with the same cancer and the sad wasting away of their appearance was equally similar and devastating. Patrick was a stand up guy and I admire his dedication to his wife. Many do not know that during the time he appeared to have dropped out of movie industry, he was working with his wife performing ballets and showing top quality horses. That's right, he

was a ballet dancer and a horseman. I can recall a well used picture of him in full ballet attire holding his wife above his head in a classic ballet lift. The strength is obvious. Then, to see him dwindle to a mere remnant of what he was, physically,... such a shame.

I believe, in the end, it was a relief. He kept his spirits high throughout his courageous battle and I think many hold on for family, knowing it will be hard on them when the end comes. So they fight, even when they, perhaps, would like to say 'good bye'. Regardless, in the midst of the sadness, it is a comfort to know he is no longer in pain. He will be missed.

1 comment:

  1. I love the pictures you posted - it reminds us of what he was and what his passion embodied. His devotion to his wife and horses says a lot to me despite the bad influences throughout his life. It is hard to see him waste away and I believe the end is a relief as well.

    ReplyDelete