
I was talking to a friend from Manitoba today. We haven't talked in such a long time. We worked at the same day care facility when we were 19 yrs old. Anyway, she mentioned her son was playing junior legue hockey but that this would be his last year as he was getting too old. She went on to say how sad she was for him as it was his dream to make it to the majors.
This put me thinking on a familiar topic. I have always considered myself to be quiet fortunate that, although many dreams have been crushed throughout the years, I have always been able to find a NEW DREAM. Perhaps I am resourceful, versatile or just desperate to find a purpose in life. Regardless of the reason, I could not imagine surviving life if we were only allowed a single dream. Furthermore, I do not know how a person can live, day in and day out, nursing a single dream. To me, that is paramount to 'putting all your eggs in one basket'.

Although I have managed to find these new dreams and am living happily, sometimes wondering which new dream will find me next, I thought it would be interesting to revisit the ones that got away.
Here are a few of my dreams that either never came to fruition or were dashed mid-stream:
1) Never had a dog as a kid (We all know how that one finally turned out but I really could have used a doggy friend when I was young).

2) Never had a sister (I now have freinds that are close enough to be one).
_-_Two_Sisters_(1901).jpg)
3) Finally realized my dream of owning my own horse and learning to ride but a wicked car accident buried those aspirations. (It remains to be seen what, if anything, lays ahead for me in the equine world. I'm ok with attending shows and watching movies for now. I can always appreciate their beauty.)

4) Aspirations of starting up a kennel just came waaaaaay too late in the game. (I still have "Pack Rules Inc.")

5) Visit Scotland - Hey, it could still happen.

There are others, too personal to blog about or too painful to recall, but there is always hope and I'm struck by the thoughts of all the great dreams that have come through for me. I feel fortunate for those but that's a list for another day.
Would you like to share a short list of some dreams that passed you by or are yet to be realized?
What a wonderful post - heartbreaking and encouraging all at once. I've always been a dreamer and sometimes that prevented me from be a liver... lol ... not a "liver" liver but someone who lives... ok so it's not a word but you know what I mean!! Never give up on your dreams for they manifest themselves in the way they are supposed to when they can. I will think on this topic and post some of my illusive dreams... take care my friend, love you lots.
ReplyDeleteHey you added the picture of the basket of eggs! Good one!
ReplyDeleteBTW love the painting of the girls - beautiful work.
Love that you dreamed, dream and will dream. Unlike you and Linda I wasn't ever a dreamer (at least not brave enough to allow my dreams a life) but rather a liver (the someone who lives kind. But I hope I can still learn to catch the dreams that pass by my open mind....the key of course then would be to close the mind just long enough to get a hold. I will blog & share on the topic.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing.......:)