Saturday, October 10, 2009

Thanksgiving Mayhem



I've lived in Canada for 25 yrs, now. I still cannot put my finger on the pulse of Thanksgiving here.
One would think it possible to acclimate to a new date and time for a familiar celebration but, no. Not for this girl. Seriously, it just sneaks up on me. Americans celebrate in late November and, regardless of how many reminders I jot down or how many calendars I highlight, it just feels tooooooo early!
It reminds me of the behavior studies on human sleep patterns. Deprived of light and all time telling devises, the human body sinks itself into a bio-rhythm that hums along quite methodically without the help of sun, moon, stars and watches as previously believed. Well, my gobble-rhythm is set to the American clock and it appears it shall remain so.
What is it they say? You can take the girl out of the States but you can't take the States out of the girl! Well, put. Anyway, we did make it to the grocery store today where we purchased all the necessary wares to provide a decent Thanksgiving meal for our small clan. Our house is upside-down with the renovations still underway and we will have to shift a few things around to make more room, but I am quite certain a fun family time will be had by all.

To all my friends and family on the road during this holiday season - Drive safe and God's speed. And remember to remember all your many blessings. It could be so much worse and there is always something for which to be grateful. God bless you all.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful comments and pictures to accompany a well written piece. My girl, you sure got the hang of thing blogging stuff quickly, it's so professional with all the pictures... I just love it and look forward to your updates that run the range from sad to amusing and lol funny.

    Happy Canadian Thanksgiving my friend!

    ReplyDelete